Friday

A Ship Without a Ruddock

A friend of ours, who works for DEFRA, is off to Ireland  to speak at a conference. 
Wife brings this titbit to the Breakfast Table.

Wife: "Pam's off to Ireland tomorrow, and she's going with Joan Ruddock" (our local MP).
MiL's toast pauses midway between mouth and table.
MiL: "Didn't you work for his mother?"
Wife (wearily confused): "Eh?"
MiL: "The Body Shop. She was the who lady you worked for."
Wife: "You mean Anita Roddick."
MiL: "Yes of course. But John could be her son."
Wife: "No mum, I said Ruddock not Roddick. And it's Joan not John.""
MiL: "Roddick and Ruddock? You're saying the same thing twice that's all."
MiL: " I'm not mum. They're two different names."
MiL: "Spell it then."
Wife spells out both the names very precisely.
MiL: "Oh! RodDICK and RUDDock."
Wife: "Yes. That's what I said."
MiL: "You did not. I can still hear you know."
a pause
MiL: "Ah well at least she has company for the journey. I'm sure John's a very nice man"


1 comment:

Doctor Pangloss said...

John Ruddock? Doesn't he own a motor garage in York?

http://www.yorkonline.co.uk/business/8507/